Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jerry Jelinek <jerry(dot)jelinek(at)joyent(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch to allow disable of WAL recycling
Date: 2019-03-28 19:59:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 3:24 PM Jerry Jelinek <jerry(dot)jelinek(at)joyent(dot)com> wrote:
> The latest patch is rebased, builds clean, and passes some basic testing. Please let me know if there is anything else I could do on this.

I agree with Thomas Munro's earlier critique of the documentation.
The documentation of the new parameters makes an assumption,
completely unsupported in my view, about when those parameters should
be set, yet at the same time gives almost no information about what
they actually do. I don't like that.

The patch needs a visit from pgindent, too.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company