Re: patch for parallel pg_dump

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch for parallel pg_dump
Date: 2012-03-16 04:06:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I think we should get rid of die_horribly(), and instead have arrange
>> to always clean up AH via an on_exit_nicely hook.
>
> Good. The only exit handler I've seen so far is
> pgdump_cleanup_at_exit. If there's no other one, is it okay to remove
> all of this stacking functionality (see on_exit_nicely_index /
> MAX_ON_EXIT_NICELY) from dumputils.c and just define two global
> variables, one for the function and one for the arg that this function
> would operate on (or a struct of both)?

No. That code is included by other things - like pg_dumpall - that
don't know there's such a thing as an Archive. But I don't see that
as a big problem; just on_exit_nicely whatever you want. We could
also add on_exit_nicely_reset(), if needed, to clear the existing
handlers.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company