Re: PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Advocacy Group <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes
Date: 2017-09-01 20:23:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 1:35 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Are we safe to draw attention to these indexes, for a particular use
> case? Can we get a clear statement of what that is? If we can, I would
> incline towards adding them to the major items list.

I think it's cases where the keys are very wide, only equality lookups
are needed, and the data isn't changing a ton. Write performance for
hash indexes is still not fantastic, although I believe that, due to
the single-page vacuuming logic in particular, it's a lot better than
formerly.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company