Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Date: 2014-12-11 02:58:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 3:24 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Feedback I am receiving is that the API is unusable. That could be
> because it is impenetrable, or because it is unusable. I'm not sure it
> matters which.

It would be nice to here what someone is trying to use it for and what
problems that person is encountering. Without that, it's pretty much
impossible for anyone to fix anything.

As for sample code, KaiGai had a working example, which of course got
broken when Tom changed the API, but it didn't look to me like Tom's
changes would have made anything impossible that was possible before.
I'm frankly kind of astonished by the tenor of this entire
conversation; there is certainly plenty of code in the backend that is
less self-documenting than this is; and KaiGai did already put up a
wiki page with documentation as you requested. From his response, it
sounds like he has updated the ctidscan code, too.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company