Re: Correct docs re: rewriting indexes when table rewrite is skipped

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Correct docs re: rewriting indexes when table rewrite is skipped
Date: 2022-03-31 14:28:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 10:14 AM James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Is the attached more along the lines of what you were thinking?

Yeah. Maybe this would be a little clearer: "For example, if the
collation for a column has been changed, an index rebuild is always
required, because the new sort order might be different. However, in
the absence of a collation change, a column can be changed from text
to varchar or vice versa without rebuilding the indexes, because these
data types sort identically."

We don't seem to be very consistent about whether we write type names
like VARCHAR in upper case or lower case in the documentation. I'd
vote for using lower-case, but it probably doesn't matter much.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com