Re: Non-superuser subscription owners

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2023-01-23 17:39:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 8:52 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > Perhaps we should have a way to directly turn on/off authentication
> > methods in libpq through API functions and/or options?
>
> Yes. There's an in-progress patch adding, I think, pretty much what is
> required here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/9e5a8ccddb8355ea9fa4b75a1e3a9edc88a70cd3.camel@vmware.com
>
> require_auth=a,b,c
>
> I think an allowlist approach is the right thing for the subscription (and
> postgres_fdw/dblink) use case, otherwise we'll add some auth method down the
> line without updating what's disallowed in the subscription code.

So what would we do here, exactly? We could force a require_auth
parameter into the provided connection string, although I'm not quite
sure of the details there, but what value should we force? Is that
going to be something hard-coded, or something configurable? If
configurable, where does that configuration get stored?

Regardless, this only allows connection strings to be restricted along
one axis: authentication type. If you want to let people connect only
to a certain subnet or whatever, you're still out of luck.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com