Re: allow frontend use of the backend's core hashing functions

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Suraj Kharage <suraj(dot)kharage(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allow frontend use of the backend's core hashing functions
Date: 2020-02-14 16:21:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 11:15 AM David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> One question. It might be possible to make these functions faster
> using compiler intrinsics. Would those still be available to front-end
> code?

Why not? We use the same compiler for frontend code as we do for
backend code. Possibly you might need some more header-file
rejiggering someplace, but I don't know of anything specific or see
any reason why it would be particularly painful if we had to do
something.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company