Re: Re: [JDBC] 9.4-1207 behaves differently with server side prepared statements compared to 9.2-1102

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [JDBC] 9.4-1207 behaves differently with server side prepared statements compared to 9.2-1102
Date: 2016-01-19 18:01:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> With all the problems I have seen (in Oracle and Postgres) I think that
> maybe a better solution to this problem is to make the planner fast (and
> reliable) enough so that plan caching isn't necessary in the first place.
>
> However I have no idea how feasible that is.

The problem is that the floor is already littered with
potentially-very-beneficial query planning ideas that got discarded
because they would add too many cycles to planning time. Despite
that, planning time is a killer on some workloads. So right now we've
got workloads where we plan too much and workloads where we plan too
little. Argh.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company