Re: Adding support for Default partition in partitioning

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding support for Default partition in partitioning
Date: 2017-04-12 18:41:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:17 AM, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I like the idea about having DEFAULT partition for the range partition. With
> the
> way partition is designed it can have holes into range partition. I think
> DEFAULT
> for the range partition is a good idea, generally when the range having
> holes. When
> range is serial then of course DEFAULT partition doen't much sense.

Yes, I like that idea, too. I think the DEFAULT partition should be
allowed to be created for either range or list partitioning regardless
of whether we think there are any holes, but if you create a DEFAULT
partition when there are no holes, you just won't be able to put any
data into it. It's silly, but it's not worth the code that it would
take to try to prevent it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company