Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-27 13:30:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 10:53 AM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> What made PostgreSQL attractive to those companies in the first place
> was a known lack of need to have Extensive Conversations with Legal™
> about licensing and other financial/IP matters.

If you think that the lack of a CLA and a patent grant never causes
extensive conversations with legal, I am quite certain that you are
incorrect. I know of multiple instances where this has been a
concern.

Other open source projects even more prominent and successful than
PostgreSQL have done these things. You (and some others) seem
confident that we know better, an attitude that I just don't
understand. It's not as if we have some blue ribbon panel coming up
with best practices which we then implement. We're just doing the
same thing that we have been doing for 20+ years because that's the
way we've always done it. It's probably not a bad process, because
it's gotten us this far and this is a pretty cool place to be, but
processes can involve and get better, just as the code itself has
done.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company