Re: NetBSD vs libxml2

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NetBSD vs libxml2
Date: 2018-08-13 14:50:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> We could fix this by teaching configure to absorb -Wl,-R... switches
> into LDFLAGS from xml2-config's output, and that seems to make things
> work, but I wonder whether we should or not. This seems like a new height
> of unfriendliness to non-default packages on NetBSD's part, and it's a bit
> hard to believe the behavior will make it to a formal release.

I kind of agree with Nico: why do we think we get to tell operating
system distributions which switches they're allowed to need to make
things work? The point of things like pg_config and xmlconfig is to
reveal what is needed. If we editorialize on that, we do so at our
own risk.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company