Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updated tuple

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Wood, Dan" <hexpert(at)amazon(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Wong, Yi Wen" <yiwong(at)amazon(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updated tuple
Date: 2017-11-02 17:16:08
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Personally, I think it would be best to push the release out a week.
>
> I would only be in favor of that if there were some reason to think that
> the bug is worse now than it's been in the four years since 9.3 was
> released. Otherwise, we should ship the bug fixes we have on-schedule.
> I think it's a very very safe bet that there are other data-loss-causing
> bugs in there, so I see no good reason for panicking over this one.

Well, my thought was that delaying this release for a week would be
better than either (a) doing an extra minor release just to get this
fix out or (b) waiting another three months to release this fix. The
former seems like fairly unnecessary work, and the latter doesn't seem
particularly responsible. Users can't reasonably expect us to fix
data-loss-causing bugs that we don't know about yet, but they can
reasonably expect us to issue fixes promptly for ones that we do know
about.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company