Re: logical decoding - GetOldestXmin

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logical decoding - GetOldestXmin
Date: 2012-12-14 19:01:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Just moving that tidbit inside the lock seems to be the pragmatic
> choice. GetOldestXmin is called
>
> * once per checkpoint
> * one per index build
> * once in analyze
> * twice per vacuum
> * once for HS feedback messages
>
> Nothing of that occurs frequently enough that 5 instructions will make a
> difference. I would be happy to go an alternative path, but right now I
> don't see any nice one. A "already_locked" parameter to GetOldestXmin
> seems to be a cure worse than the disease.

I'm not sure that would be so bad, but I guess I question the need to
do it this way at all. Most of the time, if you need to advertise
your global xmin, you use GetSnapshotData(), not GetOldestXmin(), and
I guess I'm not seeing why that wouldn't also work here. Am I dumb?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company