Re: inherit support for foreign tables

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inherit support for foreign tables
Date: 2015-03-22 18:39:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
>> [ fdw-inh-8.patch ]
>
> I've committed this with some substantial rearrangements, notably:

I'm really glad this is going in! Thanks to to Shigeru Hanada and
Etsuro Fujita for working on this, to you (Tom) for putting in the
time to get it committed, and of course to the reviewers Ashutosh
Bapat and Kyotaro Horiguchi for their time and effort.

In a way, I believe we can think of this as the beginnings of a
sharding story for PostgreSQL. A lot more work is needed, of course
-- join and aggregate pushdown are high on my personal list -- but
it's a start.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company