Re: Online enabling of checksums

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Online enabling of checksums
Date: 2018-03-02 16:36:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 2:44 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> And even more so, I'm not even sure it makes sense to try to get this
> into v11. This is a medium-large complicated feature, submitted to the
> last CF for v11. That's pretty late. Now, Magnus is a committer, but
> nevertheless...

Yeah, I would also favor bumping this one out to a later release. I
think there is a significant risk either that the design is flawed --
and as evidence, I offer that I found a flaw in it which I noticed
only because of a passing remark in an email, not because I opened the
patch -- or that the design boxes us into a corner such that it will
be hard to improve this later. I think that there are is a good
chance that there are other serious problems with this patch and to be
honest I don't really want to go try to find them right this minute; I
want to work on other patches that were submitted earlier and have
been waiting for a long time.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company