Re: [POC] hash partitioning

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [POC] hash partitioning
Date: 2017-10-12 20:06:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> Are we going to rely on the the combine function to stay the same
> forever after?

If we change them, it will be a pg_upgrade compatibility break for
anyone using hash-partitioned tables with more than one partitioning
column. Dump and reload will also break unless
--load-via-partition-root is used.

In other words, it's not utterly fixed in stone --- we invented
--load-via-partition-root primarily to cope with circumstances that
could change hash values --- but we sure don't want to be changing it
with any regularity, or for a less-than-excellent reason.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company