Re: Decoupling antiwraparound autovacuum from special rules around auto cancellation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Decoupling antiwraparound autovacuum from special rules around auto cancellation
Date: 2023-01-24 19:21:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 4:24 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> > It sounds like they used DROP TRIGGER pretty regularly. So I think this
> > sounds like exactly the kind of case I was talking about, where
> > autovacuums keep getting cancelled until we decide to stop cancelling
> > them.
>
> I don't know how you can reach that conclusion.

I can accept that there might be some way I'm wrong about this in
theory, but your email then seems to go on to say that I'm right just
a few sentences later:

> The whole article was about how this DROP TRIGGER pattern worked just
> fine most of the time, because most of the time autovacuum was just
> autocancelled. They say this at one point:
>
> "The normal autovacuum mechanism is skipped when locks are held in
> order to minimize service disruption. However, because transaction
> wraparound is such a severe problem, if the system gets too close to
> wraparound, an autovacuum is launched that does not back off under
> lock contention."

If this isn't arguing in favor of exactly what I'm saying, I don't
know what that would look like.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com