Re: Our naming of wait events is a disaster.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Our naming of wait events is a disaster.
Date: 2020-05-12 20:12:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 11:16 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I've been trying to reformat table 27.4 (wait events) to fit
> into PDF output, which has caused me to study its contents
> more than I ever had before.

That reminds me that it might be easier to maintain that table if we
broke it up into one table per major category - that is, one table for
lwlocks, one table for IPC, one table for IO, etc. - instead of a
single table with a row-span number that is large and frequently
updated incorrectly.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company