Re: Synchronous replay take III

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronous replay take III
Date: 2019-02-01 14:34:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 6:42 PM Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Yes, this is essentially the same thing that you were arguing against
> above. Perhaps you are right, and there are no people who would want
> synchronous replay, but not synchronous commit.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the terminology here, but if not, I find
this theory wildly implausible. *Most* people want read-your-writes
behavior. *Few* people want to wait for a dead standby. The only
application of the later is when even a tiny risk of transaction loss
is unacceptable, but the former has all kinds of clustering-related
uses.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company