Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown (Re: Back-branch update releases coming in a couple weeks)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown (Re: Back-branch update releases coming in a couple weeks)
Date: 2013-06-21 15:30:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I will go with 5 seconds, then.

I'm uncomfortable with this whole concept, and particularly with such
a short timeout. On a very busy system, things can take a LOT longer
than they think we should; it can take 30 seconds or more just to get
a prompt back from a shell command. 5 seconds is the blink of an eye.

More generally, what do we think the point is of sending SIGQUIT
rather than SIGKILL in the first place, and why does that point cease
to be valid after 5 seconds?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company