Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?
Date: 2024-04-23 12:12:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 6:23 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
> I wonder if we're interested in keeping a (very short) manually-
> maintained list of symbols that we know are in use but the scripts
> don't extract for whatever reason.

+1. I think this idea has been proposed and rejected before, but I
think it's more important to have our code indented correctly than to
be able to rely on a 100% automated process for gathering typedefs.

There is of course the risk that the manually generated file will
accumulate stale cruft over time, but I don't really see that being a
big problem. First, it doesn't cost much to have a few extra symbols
in there. Second, I suspect someone will go through it at least every
couple of years, if not more often, and figure out which entries are
still doing something.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com