Re: ThisTimeLineID is used uninitialized in basebackup.c, too

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ThisTimeLineID is used uninitialized in basebackup.c, too
Date: 2021-10-29 18:09:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 7:28 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> Yes, I agree that it is a good idea to cut the dependency of those
> code paths with ThisTimeLineID, expecting IDENTIFY_SYSTEM to have done
> the job beforehand. One argument in favor of your change, though I'd
> like to think that nobody does so, is that users could run BASE_BACKUP
> with a replication connection. So no need to hack pg_basebackup to be
> able to finish with a WAL sender that has no TLI set in the backend.

Right. I mean, I think the current behavior is both unprincipled and
unintentional. It's not like somebody would have intentionally
designed the BASE_BACKUP command to rely on a global variable
happening to have been set by a previous command. And if for some
crazy reason they had done that, surely there would be some comments
or something talking about it. It's just a (minor) mistake.

> Your patch seems correct to me.

Thanks, committed.

--
Robert Haas