Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench stats per script & other stuff
Date: 2015-07-23 16:20:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I liked @ because it makes sense to read it as the word "at".

>> I'd actually like to introduce a new pgbench option that selects a builtin
>> script by name, so that we can have more than three of them without running
>> out of option names (or going insane). So suppose we introduce pgbench -b
>> BUILTIN_NAME, where BUILTIN_NAME is initially one of these:
>> classic, classic-simple-update, classic-select-only
>>
>> Then you can do pgbench -b classic(at)1 -b classic-select-only(at)9 or
>> similar to get 10% write, 90% read.
>
> I like this idea, as -b/-f would be symmetric. Prepending classic to the
> names does not look necessary. I would suggest "tpcb-like", "simple-update"
> & "select-only", or even maybe any prefix. If the bench scripts could be
> read from some pg directory instead of being actually inlined, even more
> code could be dropped from pgbench.

I think including classic would be a very good idea. We might want to
add a TPC-C like workload in the future, or any number of other
things. Naming things in a good way from the outset can only make
that easier.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company