Re: Shaky coding for vacuuming partitioned relations

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Shaky coding for vacuuming partitioned relations
Date: 2017-09-29 16:17:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 1:31 AM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> This thread now has two open items, both of them pertaining to VACUUM error
> messages involving partitioning. The pair is probably best treated as a
> single open item.

If I understand correctly, problem #1 is that get_rel_oids() can emit
a user-visible cache lookup failure message. There is a proposed patch
by Michael Paquier which appears to implement the design suggested by
Tom. I think that the normal procedure would be for Tom to commit
that change if he's happy with it.

I don't think I understand problem #2. I think the concern is about
reporting the proper relation name when VACUUM cascades from a
partitioned table to its children and then some kind of concurrent DDL
happens, but I don't see a clear explanation on the thread as to what
exactly the failure scenario is, and I didn't see a problem in some
simple tests I just ran. Furthermore, it sounds like this might get
fixed as part of committing the patch to allow VACUUM to mention
multiple tables, which Tom has indicated he will handle.

> [Action required within three days. This is a generic notification.]

If someone could specify a particular action they'd like me to take,
I'll consider taking it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company