Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jakub Wartak <Jakub(dot)Wartak(at)tomtom(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: WAL prefetch (another approach)
Date: 2021-12-13 14:23:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 9:47 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Yeah ... on the one hand, that machine has shown signs of
> hard-to-reproduce flakiness, so it's easy to write off the failures
> I saw as hardware issues. On the other hand, the flakiness I've
> seen has otherwise manifested as kernel crashes, which is nothing
> like the consistent test failures I was seeing with the patch.
>
> Andres speculated that maybe we were seeing a kernel bug that
> affects consistency of concurrent reads and writes. That could
> be an explanation; but it's just evidence-free speculation so far,
> so I don't feel real convinced by that idea either.
>
> Anyway, I hope to find time to see if the issue still reproduces
> with Thomas' new patch set.

Honestly, all the reasons that Thomas articulated for the revert seem
relatively unimpressive from my point of view. Perhaps they are
sufficient justification for a revert so near to the end of the
development cycle, but that's just an argument for committing things a
little sooner so we have time to work out the kinks. This kind of work
is too valuable to get hung up for a year or three because of a couple
of minor preexisting bugs and/or preexisting maybe-bugs.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com