Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests
Date: 2012-04-25 17:19:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>>> Agreed, this has got to be pushed forward.
>
>> In the interest of furthering that goal, I propose that whoever is
>> willing to take the time to clean this up gets to decide what to
>> standardize on, and I'm happy to give you first crack at that if you
>> have the cycles.
>
> OK.  I have just returned from some emergency family business, and have
> got assorted catching-up to do, but I will try to get to that later
> this week.

Sounds good to me. You might want to revisit the issue of how the new
columns in pg_stat_statements are named, as well. I am not sure I'm
happy with that, but neither am I sure that I know what I'd like
better. It's not too clear that the timing is specifically for data
block reads and writes, for example.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company