Re: Ignoring BRIN for HOT udpates seems broken

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ignoring BRIN for HOT udpates seems broken
Date: 2022-06-01 20:38:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 4:51 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Yeah, I think that might/should work. We could still create the HOT
> chain, but we'd have to update the BRIN indexes. But that seems like a
> fairly complicated change to be done this late for PG15.

Yeah, I think a revert is better for now. But I agree that the basic
idea seems salvageable. I think that the commit message is correct
when it states that "When determining whether an index update may be
skipped by using HOT, we can ignore attributes indexed only by BRIN
indexes." However, that doesn't mean that we can ignore the need to
update those indexes. In that regard, the commit message makes it
sound like all is well, because it states that "the page range summary
will be updated anyway" which reads to me like the indexes are in fact
getting updated. Your example, however, seems to show that the indexes
are not getting updated.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com