Re: Initdb-time block size specification

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: David Christensen <david(dot)christensen(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Initdb-time block size specification
Date: 2023-09-05 14:04:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 2, 2023 at 3:09 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Except that no one is forcing you to actually go 130mph or 32mph, right?
> You make it seem like this patch forces people to use some other page
> size, but that's clearly not what it's doing - it gives you the option
> to use smaller or larger block, if you chose to. Just like increasing
> the speed limit to 130mph doesn't mean you can't keep going 65mph.
>
> The thing is - we *already* allow using different block size, except
> that you have to do custom build. This just makes it easier.

Right. Which is worth doing if it doesn't hurt performance and is
likely to be useful to a lot of people, and is not worth doing if it
will hurt performance and be useful to relatively few people. My bet
is on the latter.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com