Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Update pg_stat_statements extension for parallel query.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Update pg_stat_statements extension for parallel query.
Date: 2016-06-16 22:10:37
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Vik Fearing <vik(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
> On 10/06/16 17:01, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Update pg_stat_statements extension for parallel query.
>
> I couldn't readily find a review for this patch, and I am unsatisfied
> with it. I think it's very strange that a 1.4 version would call a
> function labeled 1.3, and when we make a 1.5 the code will look really
> weird because it'll be missing a version.
>
> Attached is my attempt to fix this. It might not be the best way to do
> it, but I feel that *something* should be done.

Hmm. I don't think this is solving any real problem, is it? You're
just adding backward compatibility code to the C files that doesn't
really need to be there. I don't think it's particularly confusing
that the extension version might sometimes get bumped without changing
the SRF columns.

Another problem with this change is that dropping and redefining the
view will prevent anyone who has a dependency on the view from being
able to update to the latest extension. It doesn't seem like a wise
idea to force that on users unnecessarily.

(I am sorry you are unsatisfied, though. I didn't feel a need to post
a detailed review of each of these many patches on the relevant
thread, because they are mostly pretty boilerplate.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company