Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM
Date: 2013-09-13 16:31:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> Well, undocumented and OpenSSL tend to go hand in hand a lot. Or,
> well, it might be documented, but not in a useful way. I wouldn't
> count on it.

The OpenSSL code is some of the worst-formatted spaghetti code I've
ever seen, and the reason I know that is because whenever I try to do
anything with OpenSSL I generally end up having to read it, precisely
because, as you say, the documentation is extremely incomplete. I
hate to be critical of other projects, but everything I've ever done
with OpenSSL has been difficult, and I really think we should try to
get less dependent on it rather than more.

> I fear starting to use that is going to make it even harder to break
> out from our openssl dependency, which people do complain about at
> least semi-regularly.

+1.

--
Robert Haas