Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion)
Date: 2022-03-14 21:37:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 3:39 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> So the new framework has been dropped in this version.
> The second test is removed as it is irrelevant to this bug.
>
> In this version the patch is a single file that contains the test.

The status of this patch in the CommitFest was set to "Waiting for
Author." Since a new patch has been submitted since that status was
set, I have changed it to "Needs Review." Since this is now in its
15th CommitFest, we really should get it fixed; that's kind of
ridiculous. (I am as much to blame as anyone.) It does seem to be a
legitimate bug.

A few questions about the patch:

1. Why is it OK to just skip the operation without making it up later?

2. Why not instead change the code so that the operation can succeed,
by creating the prerequisite parent directories? Do we not have enough
information for that? I'm not saying that we definitely should do it
that way rather than this way, but I think we do take that approach in
some cases.

Thanks,

--
Robert Haas