Re: Partitioning vs ON CONFLICT

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Shinoda, Noriyoshi" <noriyoshi(dot)shinoda(at)hpe(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Partitioning vs ON CONFLICT
Date: 2017-08-01 01:52:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:28 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Since nowhere has the user asked to ensure unique(b) across partitions by
> defining the same on parent, this seems just fine. But one question to
> ask may be whether that will *always* be the case? That is, will we take
> ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING without the conflict target specification to mean
> checking for conflicts on the individual leaf partition level, even in the
> future when we may have global constraints?

No. We'll take it to mean that there is no conflict with any unique
constraint we're able to declare. Currently, that means a
partition-local unique constraint because that's all there is. It
will include any new things added in the future.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company