Re: Add parameter jit_warn_above_fraction

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add parameter jit_warn_above_fraction
Date: 2022-03-29 13:38:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 6:09 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The last remaining thing is whether logging at WARNING level is the correct
> choice. I'm personally fine with it, because the people who are going to use
> it will probably use the same approach as for log_min_duration_statements:
> enable it first with a high value, and check if that just lead to a massive log
> spam. If not, see if there's anything that needs attention and fix it,
> otherwise keep lowering it and keep going.

I think WARNING is fine. After all, the parameter is called
"jit_warn_above_fraction". Yeah, we could also rename the parameter,
but I think "jit_notice_above_fraction" would be harder to understand.
It feels very intuitive to just say "warn me if X thing happens" and I
don't see a reason why we shouldn't just do that.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com