Re: Default Partition for Range

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default Partition for Range
Date: 2017-08-04 14:18:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks for informing.
> PFA the updated patch.
> I have changed the numbering of enum PartitionRangeDatumKind since I
> have to include DEFAULT as well. If you have better ideas, let me
> know.

Why do we need to introduce PARTITION_RANGE_DATUM_DEFAULT at all? It
seems to me that the handling of default range partitions ought to be
similar to the way a null-accepting list partition is handled -
namely, it wouldn't show up in the "datums" or "kind" array at all,
instead just showing up in PartitionBoundInfoData's default_index
field.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company