Re: Run pg_amcheck in 002_pg_upgrade.pl and 027_stream_regress.pl?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Run pg_amcheck in 002_pg_upgrade.pl and 027_stream_regress.pl?
Date: 2022-04-04 14:02:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 3, 2022 at 10:10 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> I meant to tell the authors of verify_heapam() (also CC'd) that it
> really helped with my recent VACUUM project. While the assertions that
> I wrote in vacuumlazy.c might catch certain bugs like this,
> verify_heapam() is much more effective in practice.

Yeah, I was very excited about verify_heapam(). There is a lot more
stuff that we could check, but a lot of those things would be much
more expensive to check. It does a good job, I think, checking all the
things that a human being could potentially spot just by looking at an
individual page. I love the idea of using it in regression testing in
more places. It might find bugs in amcheck, which would be good, but I
think it's even more likely to help us find bugs in other code.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com