Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, "andres(at)anarazel(dot)de" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vladimir Borodin <root(at)simply(dot)name>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: replace pg_stat_activity.waiting with something more descriptive
Date: 2016-03-15 20:31:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
>> It turns out that I hate the fact that the Wait Event Name column is
>> effectively in a random order. If a user sees a message, and goes to
>> look up the value in the wait_event description table, they either
>> have to search with their browser/PDF viewer, or scan down the list
>> looking for the item they're looking for, not knowing how far down it
>> will be. The same goes for wait event type.
>>
>> I've attached a patch to sort the list by wait event type and then
>> wait event name. It also corrects minor SGML indenting issues.
>
> Let's try that again, this time without duplicating a row, and omitting another.

Hmm, I'm not sure this is a good idea. I don't think it's crazy to
report the locks in the order they are defined in the source code;
many people will be familiar with that order, and it might make the
list easier to maintain. On the other hand, I'm also not sure this is
a bad idea. Alphabetical order is a widely-used standard. So, I'm
going to abstain from any strong position here and ask what other
people think of Thom's proposed change.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company