Re: ISN was: Core Extensions relocation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ISN was: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-11-17 17:40:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I think that's it's rather unlikely that removing hyphenation and
> prefix validation would adversely affect anyone, provided that it was
> well documented and wasn't applied to stable branches. If it were up
> to me, I might remove validation from stable branches but keep
> hyphenation, while removing both for 9.2 . After all, hyphenation will
> break anyway, so they're worse off continuing to rely on hyphenation
> when it cannot actually be relied on.

Well, keep in mind that most people test their code. It seems likely
that it actually DOES work pretty well for the people who are using
the module. The ones for whom it didn't work presumably would have
complained (and, mostly, they haven't) or abandoned the module (in
which case they're irrelevant to the discussion of who might be hurt
by this change). I'd be willing to bet a nickle that we'll get
complaints if we rip that hyphenation behavior out.

At the same time, I still think we should push this out to PGXN or
pgfoundry or something. The fact that it's useful to some people does
not mean that it's a good example for other people to follow, or that
we want the core distribution to be in the process of tracking ISBN
prefixes on behalf of PostgreSQL users everywhere.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company