Re: Removing unneeded self joins

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alexander Kuzmenkov <a(dot)kuzmenkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing unneeded self joins
Date: 2018-05-16 16:26:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Alexander Kuzmenkov <a(dot)kuzmenkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
>> There is a join optimization we don't do -- removing inner join of a
>> table with itself on a unique column. Such joins are generated by
>> various ORMs, so from time to time our customers ask us to look into
>> this. Most recently, it was discussed on the list in relation to an
>> article comparing the optimizations that some DBMS make [1].
>
> This is the sort of thing that I always wonder why the customers don't
> ask the ORM to stop generating such damfool queries. Its *expensive*
> for us to clean up after their stupidity; almost certainly, it would
> take far fewer cycles, net, for them to be a bit smarter in the first
> place.

The trouble, of course, is that the customer didn't write the ORM,
likely has no idea how it works, and doesn't want to run a modified
version of it even if they do. If the queries run faster on other
systems than they do on PostgreSQL, we get dinged -- not unjustly.

Also, I'm not sure that I believe that it's always easy to avoid
generating such queries. I mean, this case is trivial so it's easy to
say, well, just rewrite the query. But suppose that I have a fact
table over which I've created two views, each of which performs
various joins between the fact table and various lookup tables. My
queries are such that I normally need the joins in just one of these
two views and not the other to fetch the information I care about.
But every once in a while I need to run a report that involves pulling
every column possible. The obvious solution is to join the views on
the underlying table's primary key, but then you get this problem. Of
course there's a workaround: define a third view that does both sets
of joins-to-lookup-tables. But that starts to feel like you're
handholding the database; surely it's the database's job to optimize
queries, not the user's.

It's been about 10 years since I worked as a web developer, but I do
remember hitting this kind of problem from time to time and I'd really
like to see us do something about it. I wish we could optimize away
inner joins, too, for similar reasons.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company