Re: Predicate Locks for writes?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Predicate Locks for writes?
Date: 2017-10-11 16:27:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm inclined to believe Robert's hypothesis that there is some race
> condition there.
>
> The question is whether that still constitutes a serializability
> problem since we haven't done anything with the data, just passed it
> upwards to be modified.

Well, the question is whether passing it upwards constitutes reading
it. I kind of suspect it does. The plan tree isn't just blindly
propagating values upward but stuff with them. There could be quite a
bit between the ModifyTable node and the underlying scan if DELETE ..
FROM or UPDATE .. USING is in use.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company