Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences
Date: 2022-08-23 15:04:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 12:33 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 4:21 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 06:15:46PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > > The attached patch that simply moves the cache invalidation into
> > > report_invalid_record(), so that it's reached by the above code and
> > > everything else that reports an error, seems to fix the problem in
> > > src/bin/pg_ctl/t/003_promote.pl with Noah's spanner-in-the-works patch
> > > applied, and passes check-world without it. I need to look at this
> > > some more, though, and figure out if it's the right fix.
> >
> > Thomas, where are you on this open item? A potential PANIC at
> > promotion is bad. One possible exit path would be to switch the
> > default of recovery_prefetch, though that's a kind of last-resort
> > option seen from here.
>
> I will get a fix committed this week -- I need to study
> Horiguchi-san's analysis...

Hi!

I haven't been paying attention to this thread, but my attention was
just drawn to it, and I'm wondering if the issue you're trying to
track down here is actually the same as what I reported yesterday
here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmoY0Lri=fCueg7m_2R_bSspUb1F8OFycEGaHNJw_EUW-=Q@mail.gmail.com

--
Robert Haas