Re: ANALYZE command progress checker

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, vinayak <Pokale_Vinayak_q3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ANALYZE command progress checker
Date: 2017-04-04 16:49:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 4:57 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hmm, you're right. It could be counted with a separate variable
> initialized to 0 and incremented every time we decide to add a row to the
> final set of sampled rows, although different implementations of
> AcquireSampleRowsFunc have different ways of deciding if a given row will
> be part of the final set of sampled rows.
>
> On the other hand, if we decide to count progress in terms of blocks as
> you suggested afraid, I'm afraid that FDWs won't be able to report the
> progress.

I think it may be time to push this patch out to v11. It was
submitted one day before the start of the last CommitFest, the design
wasn't really right, and it's not clear even now that we know what the
right design is. And we're pretty much out of time.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company