Re: [PERFORM] DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>, Harold A(dot) Giménez <harold(dot)gimenez(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation
Date: 2012-07-16 19:26:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> At any rate, I'm somewhat less convinced that the split was a good
>> idea than I was when we did it, mostly because we haven't really gone
>> anywhere with it subsequently.
>
> BTW, while we are on the subject: hasn't this split completely broken
> the statistics about backend-initiated writes?

Yes, it seems to have done just that. The comment for
ForwardFsyncRequest is a few bricks short of a load too:

* Whenever a backend is compelled to write directly to a relation
* (which should be seldom, if the checkpointer is getting its job done),
* the backend calls this routine to pass over knowledge that the relation
* is dirty and must be fsync'd before next checkpoint. We also use this
* opportunity to count such writes for statistical purposes.

Line 2 seems to have been mechanically changed from "background
writer" to "checkpointer", but of course it should still say
"background writer" in this case.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company