Re: Cygwin cleanup

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Cygwin cleanup
Date: 2022-07-26 17:08:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 7:40 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I think maybe we should re-open the discussion. I've certainly
> reached the stage of fed-up-ness. That platform seems seriously
> broken, upstream is making no progress on fixing it, and there
> doesn't seem to be any real-world use-case. The only positive
> argument for it is that Readline doesn't work in the other
> Windows builds --- but we've apparently not rechecked that
> statement in eighteen years, so maybe things are better now.
>
> If we could just continue to blithely ignore lorikeet's failures,
> I wouldn't mind so much; but doing any significant amount of new
> code development work for the platform seems like throwing away
> developer time.

I agree with that. All things being equal, I like the idea of
supporting a bunch of different platforms, and Cygwin doesn't really
look that dead. It has recent releases. But if blocking signals
doesn't actually work on that platform, making PostgreSQL work
reliably there seems really difficult.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com