Re: PG10 transition tables, wCTEs and multiple operations on the same table

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG10 transition tables, wCTEs and multiple operations on the same table
Date: 2017-06-05 14:07:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> In the meantime, it seems like you agree that rejecting wCTEs that
> affect tables with triggers with transition tables is the best
> response to this bug report? Do you think that parse analysis is the
> right time to do the check? Here's a first attempt at that.

I'm starting to like the approach of reverting the entire transition
tables patch. Failing to consider the possibility of a plan with
multiple ModifyTable nodes seems like a pretty fundamental design
mistake, and I'm not eager either to ship this with that broken or try
to fix it at this stage of the release cycle.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company