Re: FPW stats?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FPW stats?
Date: 2018-05-03 16:54:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 7:10 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> Your patch adds a new field to PgStat_StatDBEntry? Wouldn't you
> increase the bottleneck of deployments with many databases? What's
> actually your use case?

I'm a little doubtful about whether this particular thing is generally
useful but I think the bar for adding a field to PgStat_StatDBEntry is
probably a lot lower than for a per-table counter. I think adding
table-level counters is basically not happening without some kind of
rework of the infrastructure; whereas adding db-level counters seems
like it might be OK if we were convinced that they had real value.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company