Re: postgres_fdw join pushdown (was Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw join pushdown (was Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)
Date: 2016-02-07 03:39:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 12:46 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Here it is rebased. Thanks for the pgindent run and committing core changes.
> I have to manage only one patch now :)
>
> pgindent is giving trouble with following two comments
>
> 2213 /* Run time cost includes:
> 2214 * 1. Run time cost (total_cost - startup_cost) of
> relations being
> 2215 * joined
> 2216 * 2. Run time cost of applying join clauses on the cross
> product of
> 2217 * the joining relations.
> 2218 * 3. Run time cost of applying pushed down other clauses
> on the
> 2219 * result of join
> 2220 * 4. Run time cost of applying nonpushable other clauses
> locally
> 2221 * on the result fetched from the foreign server.
> 2222 */
>
> which I want itemized with each item starting on separate line. pgindent
> just bunches everything together.

The thing to do here is leave a blank line between each one. You can
also put a line of dashes before and after the comment (see many
examples elsewhere in the source tree) to force pgindent to leave that
section completely untouched, but I think that this sort of list looks
better with blank lines anyway, so I'd go for that solution.

> 1159 /*
> 1160 * For a join relation FROM clause entry is deparsed as
> 1161 * ((outer relation) <join type> (inner relation) ON
> (joinclauses)
> 1162 */
> where I want the second line as a separate line, but pgindent puts those two
> line together breaking the continuity of second line content.
>
> How do I make pgindent respect those changes as they are?

Same idea here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company