Re: dblink_get_connections() result for no connections

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink_get_connections() result for no connections
Date: 2014-12-02 15:47:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> While fooling around with the array_agg(anyarray) patch, I noted
> that dblink_get_connections() returns NULL if there are no active
> connections. It seems like an empty array might be a saner
> definition --- thoughts?

I don't think it matters much. I wouldn't break backward
compatibility to change it from this behavior to that one, and if we'd
picked the other one I wouldn't break compatibility to change it to
this behavior. Anybody who cares can wrap a COALESCE() around it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company