Re: fixing CREATEROLE

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fixing CREATEROLE
Date: 2022-11-29 01:33:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 6:32 PM David G. Johnston
<david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Desirable follow-on patches include:
>
> 1) Automatically install an additional membership grant, with the CREATEROLE user as the grantor, specifying INHERIT OR SET as TRUE (I personally favor attaching these to ALTER ROLE, modifiable only by oneself)

Hmm, that's an interesting alternative to what I actually implemented.
Some people might like it better, because it puts the behavior fully
under the control of the CREATEROLE user, which a number of you seem
to favor.

I suppose if we did it that way, it could even be a GUC, like
create_role_automatic_grant_options.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com