Re: Missing importing option of postgres_fdw

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missing importing option of postgres_fdw
Date: 2015-04-29 17:10:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Michael Paquier
> Authorizing ALTER FOREIGN TABLE as query string that a FDW can use
> with IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA is a different feature than what is
> proposed in this patch, aka an option for postgres_fdw and meritates a
> discussion on its own because it impacts all the FDWs and not only
> postgres_fdw. Now, related to this patch, we could live without
> authorizing ALTER FOREIGN TABLE because CREATE FOREIGN TABLE does
> authorize the definition of CHECK constraints.

I agree. I don't think there's a huge problem with allowing IMPORT
FOREIGN SCHEMA to return ALTER FOREIGN TABLE statements, but it
doesn't really seem to be necessary. I don't see why we can't just
declare the CHECK constraints in the CREATE FOREIGN TABLE statement
instead of adding more DDL.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company