Re: Removed extra memory allocations from create_list_bounds

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removed extra memory allocations from create_list_bounds
Date: 2021-05-18 17:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 1:29 PM Nitin Jadhav
<nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > The CFBOT had no issues with the patches, so I suspect an issue on your side.
> > http://cfbot.cputube.org/nitin-jadhav.html
>
> I am getting the following error when I try to apply in my machine.
>
> $ git apply ../patches/0001-Removed-extra-memory-allocations-from-create_list_bo.patch
> ../patches/0001-Removed-extra-memory-allocations-from-create_list_bo.patch:18:
> trailing whitespace.

'git apply' is very picky. Use 'patch -p1' to apply your patches instead.

Also, use 'git diff --check' or 'git log --check' before generating
patches to send, and fix any whitespace errors before submitting.

I see that you have made a theoretical argument for why this should be
good for performance, but it would be better to have some test results
that show that it works out in practice. Sometimes things seem like
they ought to be more efficient but turn out to be less efficient when
they are actually tried.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com